Google My Business continues to be one of the most important tools for any online business. Particularly for businesses that are continually searching for locally. You can try this yourself from your phone. Type in “Hairdressers [your location]” and note what comes up first! Then start with a business closer to you. “Functional Medicine Practitioners[your location]’, Doctors [your location]. What is it that you see? Yes, the first results for business and location-specific data are from Google My Business listings and maps.
Google My Business
Here is how Google describes its service. “Google My Business is a free and easy-to-use tool for businesses and organizations to manage their online presence across Google, including Search and Maps. By verifying and editing your business information, you can both help customers find you and tell them the story of your business!
Google My Business Overview
If you dont already have a My Business Account, you will need to get one (you can sign in with any Google Account). If you do not have a listing, during your sign up, you will need to verify your ownership of the business or verify you own a business already listed from the search!
Your Options from the menu include:
- Home: Once you login you will see your home screen. From here you can view a range of information about your listing from how many views you have had in search and on maps, to managing reviews, posts, messaging and advertising.
- Posts: Now you can add your latest posts, products, events to your Google Business Listing. You can also add a button with a link to your website post, product or event. Info
- Info: This is where you control your hours, business information such as address, phone numbers, website URL, business description and services. You should keep this up to date and also add special hours for holidays.
- Insights: Insights tell you all about your visitor numbers, what keywords are used to find you and a breakdown of visitors.
- Reviews: This where you can manage your reviews. You cannot modify or delete a review, but you can reply to any review. As a rule of thumb, you want to have ten good reviews for one poor review.
- Messaging: You can turn on or off message. This allows people to contact (or message) you directly from your Google Business Listing.
- Photos: You can add a variety of pictures for your business here. Interior, Exterior, 360, Team, At Work and even create a welcome video.
- Users: You can assign roles to manage your Google Business Listing. You can appoint staff or even external marketers to manage.